136 Putnam Parkway
Ottawa OH 45875
Closed March 17th until further notice
After several attempts at establishing a library beginning as early as 1896, the first county public library was founded on February 12, 1924 through the efforts of Maizie Hauck Frey. The library became officially known as the "Putnam County Library Association" in 1930 and remained in the courthouse until it was relocated in 1934 to a residence on the corner of Main and South Locust Streets. In this new location the library had a separate Reading Room, Children's Room, and began its Local History Collection. By 1948, the library became officially known as the "Putnam County District Library" and as the public demand for library services grew, a new library was constructed in 1986. The library remained on North Thomas Street until August 2007, when a flood devistated much of Ottawa including the library. The library was temporarily housed at the Putnam County Educational Service Center until a new library could be completed. The Grand Opening of the new Putnam County District Library Ottawa Location was on March 12, 2011.
Funding for the Ottawa Location is provided from the operating budget of the Putnam County District Library. The Putnam County District Library does not have an operating levy at this time.